If you are using grub and the graphical interface won’t boot up, just restart your machine and follow the next steps:
- Press e when the grub-boot menu appears.
- Use the arrow keys to find the line that looks like this:
linux /vmlinuz=linux root=UUID=...... rw quiet resume=....(… = long snake of numbers)
- put systemd.unit=multi-user.target right after rw like this:
rw systemd.unit=multi-user.target resume=....
- I recommend removing quiet to get more informational output on boot (leave the rest untouched!!!)
- Press Ctrl+X to boot with this parameter.
- Now your machine is able to boot up without starting a graphical environment, and you can log in to proceed with repairing the system…